ZŠ UNESCO - English
UNESCO Uherske Hradiště is a state elementary school for children between the ages 6 to 15 years. The school consists of two historical buildings. The original building was opened in 1913 as a town school for boys and girls, so in 2013 we celebrated its 100th anniversary. Currently, according to the number of pupils, our school is the biggest of the 6 elementary schools in Uherske Hradiste – a town with 26,000 inhabitants. Since 1967 the school has taken part in the network of UNESCO associated schools, and since 1996 it has been included in the Register of Schools as the Elementary school UNESCO.
The school is conveniently located in the town centre, alongside significant places such as the town hall, Reduta, culture club, The Economic School and near the railway station.
The children attending our school are not only from the town itself, but some pupils also commute from neighbouring towns and villages.
The school is a complete nine grade Elementary School. This school year 2015/16 there are about 560 pupils in 23 classes.
UNESCO is a school that focuses on extended language education. Pupils start learning English in the first grade. The number of language lessons for pupils in the 1st and 2nd grades is 2 lessons per week; pupils in the 3rd to 5th grades have 4 lessons per week.
In 6th grade pupils can choose their own specialization – lingual or scientific.
Lingual specialization means the study of another foreign language – French, German, Russian or Spanish in 3 lessons per week. In addition an extra conversational lesson in the pupils’ first foreign language is taught and also civics seminars in 8th grade.
Scientific specialization consists of subjects concentrating on Science, where the main focus is achieved with scientific seminars and mathematics/physics seminars.
The school is well equipped with textbooks, teaching aids, and educational software is used in various subjects. The school library and foreign language library are available for pupils to borrow books or work with them in lessons. Teachers have useful literature and various types of teaching aids at their disposal within their offices. In most of the specialized classrooms you can find data projectors, computers, televisions, DVD players and other audio-visual equipment. Also four of the classrooms are equipped with interactive whiteboards.
The teaching staff comprises of 42 members. To assure the quality of teaching, we try to provide 100% certified education. All teachers are fully qualified for teaching the required level of education.
The school also has at its disposal a psychologist, an educational counsellor, an educational specialist for prevention of socially pathological phenomena, and a consultant for pupils with learning difficulties. Also there are some after school club supervisors and two teaching assistants.
We try to be the school which:
- creates a friendly atmosphere with mutual tolerance
- teaches how important education is – it does not only mean absorbing encyclopaedic knowledge, but also educating led by the learner’s need to create his or her own personality and attitude to education
- understands its pupils and their personalities, not only mastering the subject matter according the curriculum
- provides high-quality language education
- integrates pupils with specific learning difficulties, gifted pupils, pupils of different nationalities, etc. Such pupils acquire education through individual learning plans
- offers a various number of activities – skiing and watermanship courses, regular swimming lessons, skating, sport competitions and after-school clubs
- cooperates with foreign schools
- arranges interesting tours and excursions in the Czech Republic and foreign countries
- supports the pupils’ parliament and is concerned with the opinions raised
- develops principles of prevention, e.g. The fight against AIDS, efforts to detect signs of bullying, leisure time activities, etc.
- offers parents free access to school and encourages them to be actively engaged in school activities and the learning process